Bethesda Green is Looking for a
New Executive Director
The ideal candidate for Executive Director will:
- Have substantive experience in, and knowledge of, the environment and energy fields;
- Have at least five years' experience managing and motivating a staff of paid and volunteer personnel;
- Have at least five years' experience in successful fundraising;
- Possess excellent people and public speaking skills;
- Entrepreneurial spirit and experience working in/with small businesses
Educational requirements: at least a bachelor's degree, although a master's degree would be preferable. Academic specialization could include (although is not limited to) environmental science; nonprofit management; public policy.
This is a full-time position with benefits, located in Bethesda, Maryland, part of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Compensation is negotiable and will depend upon the candidate. Bethesda Green is an equal opportunity employer and candidates from diverse backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
For more information about Bethesda Green, visit BethesdaGreen.org. Written applications must be received by 5 p.m. eastern time, Wednesday, April 30, 2014 by email at jobs@BethesdaGreen.org or by regular mail at Bethesda Green, Attention: Search Committee, 4825 Cordell Avenue, Suite 200, Bethesda, MD 20814.
See detailed job description here.
BETHESDA GREEN JOBS & INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Bethesda Green is filled with smart, enthusiastic and committed people actively involved in helping the community become a better place to live, work and play. We are largely a volunteer organization, however, we do post announcements about paid positions here when they are available.
Internship positions for high school and college students are available on a rolling basis. We are currenly seeking part-time spring and summer interns for 2013. The general Bethesda Green Internship description can be found here. For more specific information or to apply for an internship, please contact Sharon D'Emidio at firstname.lastname@example.org
OTHER INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES - WITH PARTNER ORGANIZATIONS
From time-to-time, we also post internship opportunities for our partner organizations and allies in the sustainability field. Please see below for a list of current internship opportunities with friends of Bethesda Green:
1) Reel Water Film Festival - Seven internship positions are available
Please email email@example.com if you’re interested or have questions.
2) Amicus Green Building Center - Store Operations Associated
- The Amicus Green Building Center is a home improvement & design center devoted exclusively to products, processes, and principles that promote healthy and safe spaces; protect our environment; save occupants energy, water, and utility bills; and promote local & domestic economies. We’ve been called the Earth’s favorite hardware store, where people can find solar electricity and ceramic recycled tile, adhesives and LED lights, and the expertise to piece it all together. We adhere to the Triple Bottom Line, aiming to profit financially, benefit our planet’s natural resources, and benefit our local economy and people.
We are on the hunt for store operations associates, a fancy term for a great jack-of-all-things person. Examples of your core functions include: work with customers on their projects and our solutions; process sales and orders; process deliveries and outbound shipping; help organize stock and our office; and mix paint. If you’re looking for a way to put sustainability and Triple Bottom Line principles and policies into action with tangible results—and that doesn’t slave behind a desk all day—this will be right up your alley.
- A sponge: you have a voracious appetite to learn a myriad of subjects—including building science and performance, product chemistry and health impacts, product environmental attributes, the design and construction processes, and much more; and share this knowledge with the public and your coworkers. You ask questions, observe, listen, read, and absorb.
- An ambassador: happily share your knowledge and insight with customers and your coworkers.
- A firefighter: you know how to problem solve and think on your feet.
- Patient and respectful, happy to work with people of all stripes.
- A tech maven: comfortable with computers and software platforms, your understanding of how they tick helps you problem solve and work your way through these programs.
- Into the green: you have some knowledge and understanding of concepts like green building, sustainability, and the Triple Bottom Line, but most importantly you’re totally into diving into these things and walking the walk.
- Dependable: you know when to show up and do what needs to be done, find out “what else” needs to be done, and do it with minimal supervision.
- Good with grammar and spelling.
- Know how to laugh: Your sense of humor allows you to take your job seriously but with a lighter side.
- Ready to grow: jump in and be willing to take on added responsibilities as necessary and when the opportunities come about.
Bonus points if one of these describes you (triple bonus points if two+ are true):
(1) Experience with basic business management tasks, including vendor management, accounts receivable & payable, etc.;
(2) Experience working in a retail store;
(3) Experience working for a builder, contractor, supplier or related part of the construction industry.
This will start out as a part-time position (24-40 hours/week), but could grow into a full-time position. We are flexible about days and times, but you must be willing to work some Saturdays each month. Multiple vacancies exist.
Please let us know why you’ll rock this role by telling us your story with your resume/qualifications, at least 3 professional references, goals, availability/scheduling issues (are you a student or semi-retired with other obligations?), and anything else you think we should know, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) All Eco Home Center - Two positions available
Please email email@example.com if you're interested or have questions.